Thursday, April 2, 2009

If at First You Don't Succeed...

... wait a few days (until the blood stops squirting out of your eyes, and you can look at the drill without repeating all the swear words you invented) and try again. Make sure to review the helpful tips Contractor Dad was nice enough to send (after picking himself up off the floor from a major laugh attack). Repeat to yourself over and over... "I am NOT a complete moron, I am NOT a complete moron". Take a deep breath and go!

So I did it. Here is the result of my successful attempt at installing curtain rods. Four windows done including one rod raised three inches. Yay me!



The only casualty was the 3/16 drill bit (because I knocked the drill onto the floor). Ooops! Oh... and there's also the very small, but infuriating, gash the drill bit put into the hardwood floor before it broke into 3 pieces! (sorry babe! More stuff to fix. I'll get you another set of drill bits! You're on your own with the floor. I'm think'n an area rug would look GREAT there!)

There are NO new holes in the wall for Army Guy to fix! Just the original ones from last week. Shocking... I KNOW! And those holes are pretty much hidden by the curtains... so I'm think'n they will get patched when we sell the house in 3 years... or not! I'm still going to wait for Army Guy to paint because, though I am an excellent painter, I can just imagine how that might go with Huey, Dewey, and Louie running around. "Nightmare" is the word that comes to mind (just off the top of my head.)

Lessons Learned
* If you are drilling and you hit a stud... stop drilling, ditch the anchor and get a 1 1/2 inch screw. (props to Army Guy for having those on hand) (and to Contractor Dad for that handy tip.)

* When you measure and mark the wall, be sure the "marks" are lined up exactly and then drill EXACTLY on your marks. If you don't, the result is this.....



... Ya, that's a bracket leaning left. But it's OK because the one next to it leans right. So it all balances out in the end. (that's kinda "Zen" isn't it?) Whatever... I was not shooting for a general contractor's license. So in spite of the "do-it-yourselfer" flaws... I'm calling this a job well done. (or at least, "pretty ok-ish done", anyway).

A round of margaritas for everyone! I have faced the EVIL anchor and have conquered it's wickedness. I have prevailed! Hurrah!

You may now leave the congratulatory comments that I SO DESERVE! (Except for my brother... I deserve payback for the "crown moulding" zinger! Fire away bro!)

4 comments:

  1. ~~trumpets~~ (fan fare) Princess Lori has defeated the Evil Anchor!!! I do hereby call today... Wait for it .....
    YEA FOR WIFEY DAY !!!!!

    okay a little lame.... but I'm still super proud of you wifey.
    I Love you and I couldn't helpbut notice that you NEVER hung the brackets upside down.... like my crown molding was in California.... hahaha Sorry John
    :o)
    0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wifey Day - I love it!

    Way to go on the curtains! You are woman hear you roar!!! I'm so excited to come back sometime and get to see the finished product!!

    Also - the "thing to ponder" for today at the bottom of your page says "Isn't Disney World just a people trap operated by a mouse?" In case you didn't catch that one I wanted to make sure you saw it cause I thought you'd get a kick out of it. Love you girl!

    And your comment on my blog was just to much. I wish I could be in two places at once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Lori, I was going to comment when I was at your house the other day but I forgot :) It looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK so we were painting the dining room on a job a couple weeks ago and we noticed that I am not the only goober that has hung crown molding upside down. Yeah the crown in there looked like a rookie handyman got a hold of a new miter saw and went to town! So i took much comfort in that... and then laughed. I wonder if the new owners ever noticed? too funny. Anyway.. GOOD JOB on the curtains!

    love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Copywrite 2018 - Loretta Monroe