Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Does This Make Me A Soccer Mom?



The boys are attending Jr. Baseball Camp this week. So far they have enjoyed it very much. It's been fun watching them learn to throw, catch, bat, and run the bases. Anyone who has ever watched 3-5 year old baseball understands that it is HILARIOUS! It's so funny to watch 9 preschool aged boys all run for the ball, like it's a race to see who can get it. Then, of course, since EVERYONE is fighting over the ball, there is no one covering first base... and the batter makes a single... EVERY TIME! Actually, when played this way, the game sort of resembles soccer!

Today Huey was introduced to "batting" (with the use of the "T"). I'm not sure if he ever actually made contact with the ball, but he did hit the "T" and the ball tumbled off the pole and rolled about 10 feet. This gave Huey great joy... and filled my heart with pride! "My boy is an athlete", I think to myself. "This is the beginning of what will be a very lucrative career in Major League Baseball". I gaze upon my son with such adoration.... and he looks at me, equally as proud, and says, "MOM... did you see that? Home run! I hit it OUT OF THE PARK!!!" hahahahahhaha.... "yes son, you sure did!" And so it begins....


So, anyway - this is now my role. I have graduated from "chief butt wiper" and am officially a "soccer mom" with the mini van and everything. (Okay... I guess I'm still a butt wiper on occasion. But there is no way I will answer to the title "butt-wiping soccer mom".) Of course, the boys played soccer last week... they hated it and quit after three days... but whatever... I'm still going with "soccer mom".

I am taking my new job as head cheerleader very seriously. I bring the cooler with ice cold water and juice for after practice. I throw in some cheese sticks and grapes for a snack... have the sun-screen and the camp chair ... I cheer and laugh with the other parents... I am doing an excellent job!

However, there have been a few miss-steps along the way. Like yesterday, when we drove 30 minutes to post, piled out of the car and headed for the field in the nick of time only to realize that Dewey was not wearing any shoes. Yep.. in all the commotion of loading the car, preparing breakfast to go, changing a diaper, buckling car-seat belts, etc etc etc... I failed to realize Dewey never did put his shoes on. So I had to think quickly! I took Louie's shoes and gave them to Dewey ... and we all ran to the baseball field. Louie was perfectly happy to be barefoot and Dewey was not the slightest concerned that his shoes were a little snug. Phew... saved by the "mommy tap dance" once again! Hahaha! So maybe that makes my official title "Tap-Dancing-Butt-Wiping-Soccer-Mom... who's kids don't play soccer". :o)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Copywrite 2018 - Loretta Monroe