|Photo by Rohit Tandon on Unsplash|
Y'all... I was in lime heaven.
Then one day Louie brought my bliss to a horrible conclusion. My lime-tree heaven came crashing down around me with this one sentence:
"Mom, the limes have turned ORANGE"!
So, to answer a few questions:
1) No, the "lime-juice" did not taste odd at all. Apparently, unripe oranges are a great substitute for mature limes. Who knew?
2) Yes, I did think my "limes" were a little oddly shaped. I made a mental note to look up what kind of lime is more of a sphere-shape than the traditional oval variety we see at the grocery store.
3) Yes, the boys still tease me about my citrus-dyslexia-disorder. I remind them it is unkind to tease the mentally disabled.
4) Yes, I have grown weary of the boys holding up a fully ripe orange and cutely saying "look mom... a lime". It was funny the first 300 times... now not so much! But it's okay because they have progressed onto other fruit. Now they hold up a cantaloupe and call it a watermelon. I.AM.IN.HELL!
5) Yes, I do realize this topic has now come full circle. Seems I have been pushing lime over orange for years now. You can read all about that here.
One day I really DO want a lime tree. I dream of fresh lime in my guacamole. I remember my days in lime-tree heaven fondly; where there are plenty of limes that are green... and oval... and tasty. For awhile I had it all.
It has occurred to me there might possibly be some sort of Biblical lesson here. Something about being IN the world but not OF the world. I think being a lime on an orange tree is a perfect metaphor for standing firm in life as a Christian and going against the sinful nature of the world.
That's it... I HAVE GIVEN MY CHILDREN A LIFE LESSON! Now who's the not-so-bright one?
That is all...