Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Yes, We Have No Limes

Photo by Rohit Tandon on Unsplash
When we first moved into our house in Texas, I was delighted to find a lime tree in the back yard.  I LOVED that lime tree and made excellent use of its fruit.  We used the limes for guacamole, chicken-lime pasta, margaritas, salsa... etc. 

Y'all... I was in lime heaven.

Then one day Louie brought my bliss to a horrible conclusion.  My lime-tree heaven came crashing down around me with this one sentence:  

"Mom, the limes have turned ORANGE"!   

Sigh...

So, to answer a few questions:

1) No, the "lime-juice" did not taste odd at all.  Apparently, unripe oranges are a great substitute for mature limes.  Who knew?

2) Yes, I did think my "limes" were a little oddly shaped.  I made a mental note to look up what kind of lime is more of a sphere-shape than the traditional oval variety we see at the grocery store.

3) Yes, the boys still tease me about my citrus-dyslexia-disorder.  I remind them it is unkind to tease the mentally disabled.  

4) Yes, I have grown weary of the boys holding up a fully ripe orange and cutely saying "look mom... a lime".  It was funny the first 300 times... now not so much!  But it's okay because they have progressed onto other fruit.  Now they hold up a cantaloupe and call it a watermelon.  I.AM.IN.HELL!

5) Yes, I do realize this topic has now come full circle.  Seems I have been pushing lime over orange for years now.  You can read all about that here.   


One day I really DO want a lime tree.  I dream of fresh lime in my guacamole.  I remember my days in lime-tree heaven fondly; where there are plenty of limes that are green... and oval... and tasty.  For awhile I had it all.


It has occurred to me there might possibly be some sort of Biblical lesson here.  Something about being IN the world but not OF the world.  I think being a lime on an orange tree is a perfect metaphor for standing firm in life as a Christian and  going against the sinful nature of the world.  

That's it... I HAVE GIVEN MY CHILDREN A LIFE LESSON! Now who's the not-so-bright one?

That is all...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Copywrite 2018 - Loretta Monroe