Saturday, August 31, 2019

Spinach Quiche

Sometimes it's difficult to feed my kids because they each have things they will not eat. I suspect this is normal for most families. Since I will not become a short order cook, I've been forced to find recipes that everyone loves. Enter spinach quiche. The breakfast of champions - or something.

“You mean my kids will actually devour a food with approximately zero sugar that is actually GOOD FOR THEM”, you ask?  Yes!  Yes, they will!!! (well...mine will, anyway). Quiche is the perfect food. Adding spinach is both underhanded and genius. Ideal for the evil mom in search of ways to force-feed introduce vegetables to an unwilling audience. Just call it Popeye Pie and you are golden. Because who doesn't love pie? 

This recipe is simple to put together in the evening, and easy to microwave for a quick breakfast to feed the “always late for the bus” crowd I live with.

Ingredients

6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 package frozen chopped spinach
1/3  cup finely diced onion
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 pie crust*

Directions

Defrost the spinach and squeeze out the excess water.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together all ingredients (except, of course, the pie crust).

Prepare a pie pan with non-stick spray and lay the crust onto the pan. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and bake for 55-60 minutes.

Serves 6.
295 calories per serving


* pre-made pie crust for those of us who:
          a) Can’t make a decent crust,
          b) Don’t want to bother making a decent crust or,
          c) Operate in a world where we just don’t reinvent the wheel.

In case you were wondering, I am firmly planted in option “c”. Rarely do I reinvent any wheel, ever! It’s my homage to those who have gone before me and have labored to make my life easier. If you have an inventor’s spirit, and/or can make a great home-made pie crust, do that! I applaud your spirit and your skill. I’ll just be over here, truly impressed by your effort, but in no way inspired to not buy the pre-made crust. 😂


No comments:

Post a Comment

Copywrite 2018 - Loretta Monroe