Monday, September 9, 2019

Baked Spaghetti

I love spaghetti...I do. But I was in a total rut, and making spaghetti Way.Too.Often! My family was getting bored. So, did I stop making spaghetti? NOPE! I just searched for new and improved versions of my "go-to easy dinner".  I found a baked spaghetti recipe online, but it called for a jar of spaghetti sauce. Look, I'm all about easy in the kitchen. I mean, I buy pre-made pie crust, so I am not judging anyone who wants to buy the spaghetti sauce in a jar. You do what you do. BUT... if, like me, you find the jar sauce is too sweet, here is a great meat sauce recipe for you.  (And also, WHY is sugar added to literally EVERYTHING! Just say "no" to added sugar.) Making your own meat sauce is easy and super tasty. Win! Plus - the directions are right here, so you really have to try it or my feelings will be hurt. Just kidding. 

Note: this is also the sauce I use for lasagna - which I made last night. And I must say, last night's lasagna was on point! Super delish.  But there is no way the ducklings will "kick me off this show" if I keep on cook'n like this. DRAT )



Ingredients

Meat Sauce
1 lb Ground Beef *
1 Onion, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 cup water
1 tbs Italian seasoning
1 tbs dried parsley
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper

Cream Cheese Mixture
4 oz. cream cheese
½ cup sour cream
½ tsp salt
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tbs dried parsley


1 lb spaghetti
1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
½ cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese



Directions
Sauce: Brown ground beef with minced garlic and chopped onion. (*A tasty option is ½ ground beef and ½ ground sausage. Or substitute the beef with turkey. Whatever you like, do that). Drain. Stir in all canned tomatoes, water, Italian seasoning, parsley, bay leaf, salt and pepper. (If you don’t have Italian seasoning, substitute 1 tsp basil and 1 tsp oregano). Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1-3 hours. (1 hour minimum but longer is better).

When the sauce is nearly finished, preheat the oven to 350 and bring 6 quarts of water to a boil. Cook spaghetti noodles according to package directions and drain. 

Cream Cheese Mixture: Mix cream cheese, sour cream, Italian seasoning, parsley flakes and salt. Stir cream cheese mixture into the cooked pasta. Set aside.

Spray a 9x12 pan with nonstick spray.  Coat the bottom of the baking pan with about 1 cup of sauce.  Divide the pasta, placing ½ in the pan and top with ½ of the sauce. Repeat with the rest of the pasta and sauce.  Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses (For a twist, use cheddar cheese instead. It’s good that way too.)

Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with garlic bread and salad.
Serves 8.  About 370 calories per serving.




2 comments:

  1. Interesting recipe sis. I'm going to try it. Is the spaghetti cooked prior to layering with the sauce in the pan or is it raw? I've made pasta bakes before using raw noodles and letting the sauce cook the noodles.

    ReplyDelete

Copywrite 2018 - Loretta Monroe