Saturday, September 7, 2019

The Difference Between Nerds and Geeks

I didn't know there was actually a difference between nerds and geeks. Did you? Shocking, the things a person can learn from an 8th grader. But here's the deal, my son is a nerd...NOT a geek. 

"That's awful! He's not a nerd!" You say? Yeah, I said that too.  But it seems that the term "nerd" is not what we think. Or maybe it's exactly what we think but my son has simply embraced this label and wears it with pride.

Now...is he a nerd? NO! He's not. He's super smart and studies hard to get straight A's. I guess he thinks that's what a nerd is. (Note to self: introduce the child to "Revenge of the Nerds"). 😂

It seems that, at some point in the past two years, Daniel had a teacher who taught him that the nerds are the leaders, inventors, entrepreneurs, CEO's and millionaires of tomorrow. Daniel thought, "YES! That's who I want to be! I must be a nerd!"  A healthy self-esteem was born that day. Hat tip to the genius teacher who gave a middle school kid the freedom to be completely awkward and still like himself.

I mean, this is the child who took a tin Super Mario lunch box to school on the first day of the 8th grade. When I suggested that middle school is harsh and other kids might make fun of him, he replied: "The kids at the cool table will invite me to sit with them. And I'll say, you come sit with me...THIS is the cool table". What an incredibly grown-up attitude for a junior high kid.

So anyway, Daniel has embraced the nerd. He is comfortable being awkward because he realizes everyone in middle school is awkward. He's just not willing to pretend otherwise. 
HOW COOL IS THAT?

So, what is a geek? Daniel explains that a geek is a nerd who doesn't do well in school. He is completely socially awkward but his grades are just so-so. Daniel says he is clearly not a geek.

The question is, am I a geek?  Andrew wanted to know:

Andrew: Mom, were you a nerd or a geek in school?
Me: What's the difference?
Daniel: (explains the above)
Me: I certainly wasn't a geek
Andrew: That's what all the geeks say.

BURN!
These are the things that give me joy about living with junior high boys. They crack me up daily and sometimes even make me snort my coffee. Plus, they give me such great material in which to completely embarrass them one day when, eventually, they discover this blog. That's right!  I might be a geek but I am totally getting the last laugh!  😝


No comments:

Post a Comment

Copywrite 2018 - Loretta Monroe