Sunday, April 2, 2017

Why I Can't Say "Yes"

If I made one of those word-art deals that shows my most often used words, "NO!" would be prominently displayed in the largest font, smack dab in the center... It's my daily mantra. The slightly smaller words would include fart, Nerf darts, and SERIOUSLY?!?!?

Here's a sample of words I speak on a typical day:
  • "No, you cannot wear your swim trunks to church."
  • "No, you may not have a Mountain Dew right before bed."
  • "No, you cannot shoot your brother in the face with Nerf darts."
  • "No, he didn't think it was funny!"
  • "No, your homework is not acceptable if you completed it in invisible ink."
  • "Not even if you send your teacher that special pen/light to read the invisible ink."
  • "No, its not OK to fart at the table."
  • "Seriously?!?!?"
  • "No, we can't have a puppy because he will choke on all the Nerf darts and DIE!"
  • "Oh... you'll pick up the Nerf darts?  My experience says you won't"
  • "Seriously?!?!"
  • "No, I'm not going to buy you an iPhone!"
  • "WHY?  Because you are in the FOURTH GRADE!"
  • "NO!"
  • "No, I didn't think that fart was awesome."
  • "No, I'm not kidding." 
  • "No, it's not okay to buzz your brother's head with your drone."
  • "No, because you still haven't picked up the Nerf darts"
  • "No, You cannot have syrup on your Cap'n Crunch"
  • "No, Ketchup is NOT a vegetable.
etc, etc etc....

I'm such a kill-joy!  

Sometimes I hear myself and I think..."dang I'm glad she isn't MY mother". Being a bummer is exhausting. Sometimes I just want to be cool... fun... agreeable... definitely NOT a bummer. Sometimes I want to say "yes".

Yesterday was such a day.  I was grocery shopping with Louie (4th grade) and I was in a "I just can't be this guy anymore... I want to be FUN!" kind of mood. So I didn't say "no"....not even once. Here's the result of that little experiment.





I just gave my family diabetes! 

Apparently being the "bummer" is my role in this family.  It must be done or we all die in a sugar coma.  Sigh...  In other news, I'm ready for Halloween!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copywrite 2018 - Loretta Monroe