Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Basic Alfredo Sauce and Accidental Brilliance


Penne Alfredo with Chicken and Mushrooms
Alfredo Pasta is my go-to quick dinner. It's super easy, gives my family the ultra yummies and is ready in the amount of time it takes to boil up some pasta. WIN! 
Below is the recipe I use. I've tried several recipes, including one from a "traditional Italian cookbook" that begins with a classic béchamel and includes nutmeg. (I may be off base here, but I'm going with - "Nutmeg in Alfredo sauce is just weird") That recipe was good, but this one is GREAT (and also easier).  Guess which one I prefer?



Classic Alfredo

1 stick of butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup grated, fresh Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste (1/2 teaspoon - ish)
pinch of garlic powder
1 pound rotini pasta

(Note: sometimes I double the sauce for a creamier/saucier pasta. Because, let's face it, what my life really needs is more butter....MORE BUTTER!)

Directions
Cook pasta according to package directions.

In a medium sauce pan, melt butter in the cream over medium heat. Stir in fresh Parmesan and simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally with a whisk until the cheese is completely melted. Season with salt, pepper and garlic. Pour sauce over pasta, and viola...yummy dinner is served.

Add ins: At this point I usually add in steamed broccoli florets and cooked chicken breast (cubed) or shrimp that I have sautéed in butter and seasoned with a little garlic, salt and pepper. 

Serves 8
Approximately 415 calories per serving (for pasta and plain Alfredo sauce)



Brilliance
Here's where the accidental brilliance comes in. A few weeks ago I made sausage and spinach manicotti, which was ah-maze-ing!  That recipe left me with about 2 cups of extra stuffing; a mixture of ricotta cheese, sausage and spinach. I didn't want to throw that away so I shoved it into the freezer to create another something on another day. Well, "another day" was last night. I decided to stir that ricotta and sausage mixture into the Alfredo sauce. Sweet Mother of Moses!!!  I created something genius! 

Here's how to create Alfredo a la Lori:
Start with the Classic Alfredo Sauce above (this is one time you DO NOT want to double the sauce recipe).

Add  the following:
  • 1 cup of steamed, fresh spinach. Squeeze to drain excess water. (It will take 4 or 5 cups of raw spinach to get a cup of cooked spinach. Or... just use 1/2 a brick of chopped, frozen spinach - defrosted and drained.) 
  • 1/2 pound of browned sausage
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
Pour heavenly Alfredo mixture over pasta of choice (I use Rotini)

This recipe is super rich and creamy. It will also go straight to your backside so I recommend doing ten minutes of squats while the pasta cooks. This disclaimer is required because I cannot be held responsible for enlarged butts. mmmmkay?

Serves 8
Approximately 615 calories per serving













No comments:

Post a Comment

Copywrite 2018 - Loretta Monroe